Zambia mine invests US$456 million in infrastructure

copper open pit ZambiaThe Lubambe Copper Mine licence covers an area of 240 sq km. (Image source: Roșia Montană)Lubambe Copper Mine Limited has invested US$456mn in plant infrastructure including a concentrator, laboratory and new tailings disposal facility

The mining firm expects to produce 45,000 metric tonnes of contained copper by 2015 and is set to employ 1,500 people.

According to a press statement issued by the Zambia-based company, the concentrator has incorporated crushing, milling, flotation and filtration technologies.

"The design is 2.5 million metric tonnes per annum at an average mill grade 2.3 per cent copper, yielding the 45,000 metric tonnes of contained copper in concentrate to be sold to smelters in Zambia," read the statement.

Lubambe Copper Mine is a 50-50 venture between African Rainbow Minerals of South Africa (ARM) and Vale of Brazil. The joint venture holds an 80 per cent share, while the remaining 20 per cent is held by the state-owned ZCCM-Investments Holdings Plc.

Located within the greater Konkola area in Chililabombwe, Lubambe Mine consists of a large-scale mining licence covering an area of approximately 240 sq km.

Nawa Mutumweno

Alain Charles Publishing, University House, 11-13 Lower Grosvenor Place, London, SW1W 0EX, UK
T: +44 20 7834 7676, F: +44 20 7973 0076, W: www.alaincharles.com

twn Are you sure that you want to switch to desktop version?