Namibia to import 100 MW additional power from Zambia

namibia powerNamibia plans to import additional power from Mozambique and Zimbabwe as well, in the coming days. (Image source: brewbrooks/Flickr)State-owned utility company NamPower has announced that Namibia plans to import an additional 100MW of power from Zambia, to boost the country’s energy supply system

Until now, Namibia has received 50MW of power from Zambia Electricity Supply Corporation (ZESCO).

According to the Times of Zambia, NamPower chief executive officer Paulimus Shilambaa said Namibia could further increase power imports from Zambia in the future due to planned expansions of power plants in the country.

Earlier this month, Middle East utilities company Utico had announced that it was investing US$240mn in a coal fired power plant project in Okakarara town in Namibia.

In 2013, the gas-fired Aggreko power plant in Mozambique was expanded to generate an additional 122 MW of power, to facilitate its electricity exports to Namibia.  

About 45 per cent of the electricity in Namibia is generated locally and the remaining 55 per cent is imported from Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Zambia.

Zambia generates about 1,820 MW of electricity per month. According to ZESCO, the country earns additional revenue of nearly US$2mn by exporting energy to countries like Namibia in Africa.

“The negotiations to amend the agreement with ZESCO have reached advanced stages. We are also looking at importing more power from Mozambique and Zimbabwe,” said Shilambaa.

 

READ MORE...

Utico to set up coal-fired power plant in Namibia

Alain Charles Publishing, University House, 11-13 Lower Grosvenor Place, London, SW1W 0EX, UK
T: +44 20 7834 7676, F: +44 20 7973 0076, W: www.alaincharles.com

twn Are you sure that you want to switch to desktop version?