AfDB to fund Senegal’s millennium water project

water africa-frank doyle flickrThe plan is expected to be implemented in four years at a total cost of US$61mn. (Image source: Frank Doyle/Flickr)Senegal will receive an African Development Fund (AfDB) loan and grant amounting to a total of US$39.3mn for financing the country’s water and sanitation sector project (PSEA), that was launched in 2005

The project is said to be a part of the country’s Millennium Drinking Water and Sanitation Programme (PEPAM) to ensure the achievement of the millennium development goals.

According to government sources, the project comprises of a rural component designed to improve access to drinking water supply and sanitation in Louga, Kaffrine and Tambacounda regions and an urban component to rehabilitate and extend the Dakar and Ziguinchor sanitation networks.

The project also aims to improve the sector’s governance through the establishment of an appropriate monitoring and evaluation mechanism, implementation of the action plan for integrated water resources management and support to privatised management of rural drinking water facilities, sources added.

The plan is expected to be implemented in four years at a total cost of US$61mn. While AfDB loan will finance 64.56 per cent of the project, the government of Senegal and the beneficiary communities would provide the remaining 35.44 per cent of the costs.

Alain Charles Publishing, University House, 11-13 Lower Grosvenor Place, London, SW1W 0EX, UK
T: +44 20 7834 7676, F: +44 20 7973 0076, W: www.alaincharles.com

twn Are you sure that you want to switch to desktop version?